Tuesday 20 May 2008

Almost home

When you are away from home the nearby restaurant becomes your kitchen. And when that kitchen reminds you of images from back home its all the more special. Some parts of London have a distinct Indian flavour like Wembley where we went out to eat yesterday.

Getting down from the all too typical red bus you are moments away from feeling desi. And the transformation starts soon, as the mangoes sold on the street (yeah just like back home) seem to look Indian. Enter S's and you can just about forget London except for the English speaking waiters and the white customers.

Small place with just the basics-tables and chairs. The fat boss who runs the show with the thinner boys who perfectly fit my description of bhaiyas make you feel you have crossed the continent and landed on the country famous for its spices.

I have been a little wary of eating out because some dishes gave my stomach a bit of a tough time. But now in London where the food is not even salty, the chances of a bad stomach do reduce a little bit.

So we place the order which bhaiya takes down on his little notepad and moments later I am just too delighted that I came. In the wait for the food, three Asian looking men sit at a table next to us and stare quite evidently. Good food, almost friendly neighbours, now isn't that a deja vu of sorts.

But hey I paid in pounds. Then I remembered dad saying no compromise on food, so I was happy again.

The morning after the paneer gives my stomach a slight ache. That felt like home, almost..

No comments: